Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Assignment II: Portrait | Final Images

Assignment II: Portrait

With this series, I tried to capture both the person and the environment in which he exists and how it reflects who he is. My boyfriend does very well in school, and I feel that these photographs reflect his dedication to his schoolwork. It was also helpful that he is a math/physics major, so there were plenty of huge textbooks and notebooks lying around. Some of my favorite photos from this set were the ones in which the room was completely dark except for the desk lamp. It almost seemed to add a daunting/dungeon-esque setting. I tried to capture his desk area from a variety of angles and points of view. Since the setting was a dorm room, this sometimes proved to be a challenge with very little room to move around the room.

PART II

My group interpreted ta lot of stress from the photos--that there is a lot of intimidation in the stacks of books in the scene. They also were very interested in the items on his desk--the blood pressure monitor (thus the blood pressure medication) and the fact that he is on Facebook, which is something I hadn't noticed before. They interpreted that this type of procrastination leads to his stress. It was interesting that they created a whole story about the person in the photo, based upon the items on his desk. The REAL story is that after awhile, my picture-taking was getting on his nerves and he couldn't focus on doing any real homework while I was still there taking pictures.

They also mentioned that the lighting could be something that I could work on. The photos printed slightly darker than they appeared on screen, and some detail was lost. They also thought that they would like to see more detail on his face in the first and 4th photos posted here.

As far as a jumping off point, they said that this group already was working as a series, but that I could do something similar with other people, and have their surroundings speak to who they are.

No comments:

Post a Comment