Sunday, October 24, 2010

#19

1) should not be photographed? Why?
2) cannot be photographed? Why?
and
3) you do not want to photograph? Why?


1) I think that the answer to this question is dependent on the situation. In photojournalism, this is a continual discussion in ethics. Usually, death, young children, obscenity, and gore are all things that tend to be avoided. Editors have to decide whether a photo is being shown because it is sensational, or because it genuinely adds to the story being told. 


Sometimes photos are not supposed to be taken due to security. An organization might not want to disclose the location of a person or a utility station to help ensure the safety of that person or a group of people.


I think that most anything goes when someone categorizes something under the word 'art', even if it is something that will make most people uncomfortable.


2) Wow. I'm having a difficult time thinking of something that can't be photographed. I think that sound is the sense that is the most difficult to capture in a photograph. I can see a texture and easily imagine what it feels like... I can see a person's face or body language and feel an emotion... you can suggest movement in a photo.... you can communicate a message.... But for some reason, sound doesn't come as easily to me.


3) Ha. I suppose, going back to #1, anything that makes me uncomfortable. Definitely naked people. When I took drawing I, I was terrified that my professor would bring in nude models. Also, any person or animal that is in pain, whether physically or emotionally. I would feel like I was taking advantage of that person.

No comments:

Post a Comment